WHO WE ARE
Goliad Pet Adoption began in October 2001. October is Adopt A Shelter Pet Month, so a small group of volunteers decided that would be a good time to try and adopt a "few" of the many animals that were being brought in to the Goliad City Pound. Up until that time, ALL animals, with the exception of a couple, were being euthanized. Animal lovers that we are, we knew that there must be a better way! In the beginning, we had a very small adoption fee, very few requirements for adopting, and our pets had virtually no vet care prior to adoption. Quickly, we learned, that wasn't the best way. We began raising money. We started Spaying and Neutering, vaccinating, and worming, all, of age, animals prior to adoption, and we raised our adoption fees. We began stricter requirements for our adopting families.
Goliad Pet Adoption was incorporated in August 2003 in November 2004 received our non-profit status from the IRS. Our goals for the future include a new Shelter facility, having a curriculum in the local school system, teaching responsible, caring, pet ownership, humane treatment of all animals, the importance of animals in our society, and in general, a respect for ALL life. Educating the public on the NECESSITY of spaying and neutering and to institute a low cost spay/neuter program in our community, is a very important goal of ours.
Giving a voice to animals is what began Goliad Pet Adoption and that is what will keep us going, through the good times and the bad.
Our goals include:
- Finding forever homes for our rescues.
- Educating the public on the NECESSITY of spaying and neutering.
- A new shelter facility.
- To have a sanctuary for those less adoptable to live a comfortable life in a loving environment.
- Having a curriculum in the local school system.
- Teaching our community responsible, caring, pet ownership.
- Promoting the humane treatment of all animals, the importance of animals in our society, and a respect for ALL life.